Join The Research & Evaluation Topic Committee
The Research and Evaluation Topic Committee serves as a platform to inform our energy services industry through rigorous and thoughtful methodologies. We seek to drive the conversation on the evolving role of evaluation as a resource to manage and support energy programming. With the overarching objective of advancing energy policy through research and analytics, the Research and Evaluation Topic Committee collaborates and shares on topics that include, but are not limited to:
- Design, customer and market-focused research;
- Embedded and developmental research and evaluation;
- Emerging M&V and verification approaches;
- AMI-enabled research and
- Evaluability support
Research powers the motor that pushes our industry forward, and we look to the energy services community to be part of our dialogue.
We offer opportunities to:
- Contribute to cutting-edge thought leadership. The role of evaluation and research in our industry is changing rapidly. Be at the forefront of discussing how the evolving policy landscape creates new challenges and opportunities for research and evaluation to provide value to program implementation and policy.
- Get engaged with your community. Topic committees are a great way to start getting involved with AESP membership, whether you are an industry veteran or just getting your feet wet. Here in the Research and Evaluation TC, we’re a bunch of data nerds who love chatting about policy, sharing innovative methods, and dissecting the latest research studies. We meet in person at least once a year at the Annual Conference and by web conference quarterly. Get involved by volunteering for numerous opportunities, including:
o Quarterly member meetings
o Conference abstract review opportunities
o Opportunities to collaborate on Webinars
o Writing a Strategies Article
o And more!
See below for more specifics on what the Topic Committee has accomplished and upcoming volunteer opportunities.
All AESP group and individual memberships include membership in a topic committee.
Join AESP Today
- Alan Elliott, Opinion Dynamics, Co-Chair: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Melissa Culbertson, ADM Associates, Co-Chair: email@example.com
- Beth Delahaij, National Grid, Vice Chair: Beth.Delahaij@nationalgrid.com
- Sam Ross, Optimal Energy, Vice Chair: Ross@optenergy.com
- Jonathan Hoechst, Tetra Tech, Vice Chair: Jonathan.Hoechst@tetratech.com
- Kelly, Kristina, DNV GL, Vice Chair: Kristina.Kelly@dnvgl.com
- AESP 30th Annual Abstract Review. Thank you to our volunteers for reviewing abstracts and for your contributions to the Research and Evaluation “Hot Topics”.
- Conference call upcoming. Keep an eye out for an invite to an upcoming conference call. We plan to discuss recent accomplishments and ideas and plans for Fall 2019 and early 2020.
o Contact us to be added to the e-mail list
- “Valuation” webinar in development. Several states, such as California, New Jersey, New York, and Rhode Island, are up to some interesting new plans for valuation of non-traditional metrics. We are planning a webinar this Fall on what states and policymakers are doing to valuate new metrics, including reducing carbon emission and new adding new elements to cost-effectiveness tests.
o Interested in contributing? Contact us.
- AESP Strategies Article. We’re kicking off a multi-article effort to showcase policy and research developments across various regions. We’re hoping to interview gas and electric utility program managers and/or policymakers to understand what topics are top of mind for them and where they see Research and Evaluation providing the most value.
o Interested in contributing? Contact us.
Recent Events and Accomplishments
- AESP Annual 2019. We had an exciting and productive brainstorming session at the Annual conference in San Antonio.
- Topic Committee Survey. We surveyed TC members to get their input on the hot topics we developed at the Annual Conference. Respondents ranked ideas and had opportunities to volunteer to contribute.
- Website updates. What do you think of the new look? Let us know your thoughts or suggestions for better engagement by e-mailing us.
- New Mission Statement. The evolving role of research and evaluation required a new mission statement, and a new motto: “Research powers the motor that pushes our industry forward”!
Webinars and Strategies Articles
To look at past webinars and Strategies Articles, go to the Resource Library. You must be an AESP member to view.
- Accounting for Health and Safety Benefits of Energy Efficiency. Webinar. March 21, 2019.
- Insights into EISA 2020: a gradual decline or a steep cliff? Webinar. November 29, 2018.
- What’s on Their Mind? Designing & Refining Programs Through the Lens of Your Customer’s Journey. Webinar. November 15, 2018.
- The Potential Economic and Health Hardship Effects of Time-Of-Use Rates. Strategies Article. August 10, 2018. Read it here.