Call for Nominations to the AESP Board
Wednesday, May 15, 2019
Posted by: Adeline Lui
Announcement for Opening of Nominations
Ever wonder what it's like to serve on AESP's Board of Directors? Find out here!
The AESP Nominating Committee is seeking candidates for positions on AESP’s board of directors. If you would like to nominate yourself or another AESP member for a position on the board, please submit the nomination form below during the nominating period – May 15 to June 24, 2019.
In the form below, fill in the information requested and provide a brief paragraph explaining why you think you/he/she would make a good leader for the association.
If you are nominating someone else, please ensure that the person is interested in being considered to serve on the AESP Board of Directors and is aware that a nomination by you is not a guarantee of appearing on the slate for election. Proposed candidates will be vetted and may be interviewed by the Nominating Committee prior to the development of the final slate of nominees.
Board Member Benefits
AESP has been a thought leader in the marketing and application of products, services, energy efficiency and demand response since 1990. Membership on the AESP Board provides outstanding opportunities for both service and leadership to the energy industry.
Each member of the Board brings his/her unique set of experiences, ideas, support and time to help deliver the AESP mission to members and industry. Board members gain value directly through networking and interacting with other Board members and with the overall membership.
In addition, they gain exposure for themselves, their organization and their constituencies. Since 1990, many energy professionals have served the Association with their time, talent and support. Board members address the key issues, challenges and trends facing the energy industry on behalf of the membership.
Board Member Responsibilities
Listed below are the main responsibilities, activities and time requirements to be a contributing member of the Board.
* Provide strategic thinking, organizational oversight, fiduciary responsibility, thought leadership and vision
* Contribute ideas, business contacts, diverse industry perspectives, and resources
* Actively participate in the "business" of the AESP through board and member activities
* Provide representation for one of more constituencies of AESP and all members
* Promote AESP benefits and image
* Maintain a working knowledge of AESP's purpose, products, services and plans
* Provide support via membership, sponsorship when possible, and through promoting AESP membership and participation in its events.
* Contribution to the conduct, management and affairs of the association via policy development, fiscal management, board nominations, and proposal of bylaw amendments to the general membership as needed.
Requirements to serve:
* Each term is a three-year commitment to serve
* Board members must maintain membership in the association
* Board members must adhere to duty of care, loyalty and obedience to the Association
* Serving the AESP Board is a working, and not an honorary position
* Identification of actual or perceived conflicts of interest via a COI statement
* Attend three in-person board meetings annually. Meetings are typically six hours in length and while most are scheduled to coincide with other AESP/energy industry events, that is not a guarantee. Travel expenses are covered by the individual director and are not reimbursed by the Association.
* Attend the strategic planning retreat every two or three years. The retreat is typically two days long and is not necessarily scheduled to coincide with other AESP/energy industry events. Travel expenses are covered by the individual director and are not reimbursed by the Association.
* Promote AESP during professional and business activities as appropriate
* Attend and support the organization at AESP events
* Volunteer for tasks and follow through on commitments
Nominations and elections process
Members in good standing may nominate themselves or be nominated by any other member in good standing. The nominations are open to every member in good standing and are conducted from May 15 to June 24, 2019. All nominations are accepted at https://www.aesp.org/news/news.asp?id=450448.
Late and/or incomplete submissions will lead to disqualification of the candidate. The Committee does not differentiate between nominations and self-nominations. Nominees are expected to use good judgment and maintain the pre-nomination professional relationships and interactions.
Upon the close of the nomination period, the Nominating Committee of the AESP Board of Directors reviews every nomination and exercises the appropriate follow-up on each.
The Committee reviews all nominees and conducts screening activities it deems necessary in order to present a final slate of well-qualified prospects to be approved by the full Board for inclusion in the election. The Committee ensures the correct number of candidates, per the by-laws are included in the slate of nominees during the election which runs from October 10-31, 2019. All AESP members in good standing are eligible to vote.
The terms of newly elected directors begin on January 1 of the following year and last for three years.
CLICK HERE TO COMPLETE THE NOMINATION FORM